Tuesday's South Division review

8 months ago By David Watters

Gresley FC achieved their first win of 2017-18 in EVO-STIK League South on Tuesday night by beating another side yet to taste victory in Market Drayton Town, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

The deadlock at The Moat was finally broken when the Moatmen took a 74th minute lead through Reece Morris. And almost straight from the restart, Matt Melbourne added a second. Andre James pulled one back for Drayton with seven minutes remaining.

Frickley Athletic came back from 2-0 down inside eight minutes at Sheffield FC to eventually run out 4-3 winners.

James Gregory after four minutes and Andy Gascoigne four minutes later gave Club that advantage before Josh Nodder replied five minutes after that.

Gavin Allott then took centre stage, equalising after 32 minutes and putting the Blues in front just past the hour-mark. But Gascoigne levelled matters in the 73rd minute, only for Allott to complete his hat-trick and win it for Frickley with two minutes to go.

Joe Lumsden also left it late just down the road at Bracken Moor for Stocksbridge Park Steels in a 4-3 win over Leek Town.

Jordan Johnson gave the visitors a 13th minute lead that Alex Wiles cancelled out almost immediately. Tim Grice`s penalty restored Leek`s lead on 25 minutes but that too lasted barely three minutes as Scott Ruthven equalised. Grice`s second and Leek`s third came on 71 minutes, only for Lumsden to level 10 minutes later – and then he won it for Steels in the 89th minute.

Kieran O`Connell gave Belper Town a 27th minute lead at Christchurch Meadow in a 2-1 win against Newcastle Town, Eric Graves eventually doubling the Nailers` lead with 15 minutes to go to render Tom Unwin`s late reply just a consolation.

Elsewhere, Alvechurch`s good start to life in the division continued as they won 3-0 at Loughborough Dynamo.

Luke Keen broke the deadlock right on half-time. Ten minutes after the interval, Bekir Halil doubled the visitors` lead and Yusifu Ceesay made sure with Church`s third 18 minutes from the end.

Spalding United made it three unbeaten after beating Lincoln United 2-1 at the Sir Halley Stewart Fields.

Nathan Whitehead had the Tulips ahead after 11 minutes and Gary King eventually doubled that on the hour-mark. Rob Norris pulled one back for Lincoln in the 76th minute but they weren’t able to find a leveller.

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook www.facebook.com/evostikleague

Where next?

Tuesday's Premier Division review The only remaining unbeaten record in the EVO-STIK League Premier came to an end on Tuesday night, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.
Ex-Terriers coach succeeds Tracey Former Huddersfield Town academy coach Dave Haley is the new manager of EVO-STIK League Ossett Albion.

Match centre

Senior The EVO-STIK Premier Division

Latest photos

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.