Tuesday's Premier Division review

10 months ago By David Watters

Farsley Celtic could have gone top of the EVO-STIK League Premier table on Tuesday night had they won their game at Moss Lane against relegated Altrincham, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Instead, Farsley suffered their biggest defeat in over a decade after a 6-0 drubbing. Improving Altrincham produced their best performance of the season and Farsley found by far their worst.

It took the Manchester side just nine minutes to open their account as Josh Hancock stooped low to divert a free-kick into the net. The hosts doubled their advantage on 22 minutes when a long free-kick was pumped into the Celts box and Tom Peers fired home. At 2-0 down at the break, Farsley were still in with a shout but John Johnston’s 48th minute goal all but put the game to bed as the Reds put their foot on the gas.

Alty fired in a fourth on 55 minutes as poor defending allowed Jordan Hulme to tap home from close range, and 4-0 became 5-0 on 71 minutes as Tom Hannigan netted another for Phil Parkinson’s side. And the Robins rounded off their clinical performance four minutes from time as the ball was played in from the right, allowing Hancock to bag his second of the night.

Instead it`s Witton Albion, who came up with Farsley at the end of last season, who top the early table after they beat the side who came down with Altrincham, Stalybridge Celtic, 4-1 at Wincham Park.

Nick Ryan gave Albion a 14th minute lead that Will Jones doubled six minutes later. Oli Roberts reduced the arrears seven minutes after the break but a brace of penalties from Steven Tames in the 66th and 74th minutes killed off Celtic`s challenge.

Another promoted side, Lancaster City, lost their unbeaten league start last midweek, but bounced back to win 4-1 at the Giant Axe against Whitby Town.

Goals from Oliver Wood after 17 minutes and Craig Carney eight minutes later gave the Dolly Blues a 2-0 half-time lead. New signing John Campbell reduced the deficit on 58 minutes but Hannu Tam on 69 minutes and Sam Bailey 13 minutes from time took the game away from the Seasiders.

Halesowen Town ended a run of seven games without a win by securing a 2-1 victory at The Meres against Grantham Town.

Dominic Smith put the Yeltz in front after 37 minutes, only for the Gingerbreads to level within two minutes through Andy Wright. But Daniel Udoh won it for the visitors with 10 minutes remaining.

Stourbridge moved up to fourth after winning 2-1 at Mickleover Sports.

The Derbyshire side led through Bradley Grayson`s 24th minute opener. Aaron Forde eventually pulled the Glassboys back on level terms 11 minutes into the second half, and almost straight from the restart, Jack Duggan put the visitors in front – a lead they held on to.

Elsewhere, a dramatic comeback saw Ashton United recover from a two-goal deficit to grab all three points with a last-minute winner at the Marine Travel Arena against Marine AFC.

The Mariners led through efforts from Danny Mitchley on 20 minutes and Will Smart just shy of the hour-mark. But the visitors turned that round with two penalties from Matty Chadwick in the 67th and 73rd minutes and an Alex Johnson goal in the 80th minute. Jim Murray then equalised five minutes from time, only for Mark Lees to pop up with Ashton`s winner in stoppage time.

A 19th minute own goal from Nantwich Town`s Joel Stair halted Hednesford Town`s two-game losing streak at Keys Park, while Owen Story grabbed an 87th minute winner for Barwell at Kirkby Road against Matlock Town.

Matt Stenson had put the Leicestershire side in front after 37 minutes and Shaun Harrad had equalised in the 64th minute before Story struck.

The evening`s other game saw Sutton Coldfield Town and Coalville Town share a 1-1 Coles Lane draw in which Nathan Watson`s goal just before the break for the Ravens was cancelled out by Lee Smith in the 58th minute.

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook www.facebook.com/evostikleague

Where next?

Wednesday's South Division action review Lincoln United earned a second win of the Evo-Stik League South season with a resounding 5-2 success against Loughborough Dynamo at Ashby Avenue on Wednesday night, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.
Tuesday's South Division review There must have been something in the atmosphere on Tuesday night as Market Drayton Town emulated Goole AFC in the northern section by winning their first game of the EVO-STIK League South campaign, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Latest photos

Tadcaster Albion Training
87 photos
Tadcaster Albion Training
Hyde United (A) by Les Gallop
23 photos
Marske Home 11/8/18
83 photos
Marske Home 11/8/18

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.