Tuesday's Premier Division review

8 months ago By David Watters

The only remaining unbeaten record in the EVO-STIK League Premier came to an end on Tuesday night, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Promoted Lancaster City had only won three of their seven games going into their match at Ashton United having drawn the other four.

However, they fell behind to a goal from loanee Jack Dyche after 32 minutes. Craig Carney pulled the Dolly Blues back on level terms in the 68th minute. But less than two minutes later, Matty Chadwick popped up with what proved to be Ashton`s winner.

Another promoted side, Farsley Celtic, beat another side to have made a decent start to 2017-18, Grantham Town going down 3-0 at Throstle Nest.

Experienced striker James Walshaw put the hosts in front after 41 minutes and seconds before the half-time whistle, Ben Atkinson scored a crucial second. And then Paul Walker ensured the points stayed in Yorkshire when he added a third with four minutes remaining.

Warrington Town maintained top spot after a hard-earned 1-0 Cantilever Park win over Stafford Rangers, Bradley Barnes proving to be the Wire`s hero with the only goal six minutes into the second half.

Elsewhere, Stalybridge Celtic`s woes continue since suffering relegation, this time beaten 1-0 at Bower Fold by Buxton, for whom well-travelled striker Liam Hardy scored the only goal after 34 minutes.

Halesowen Town are bottom though after losing 3-1 at The Grove to newly-promoted Witton Albion.

Two goals in three minutes, starting with Will Jones' sixth minute opener and then followed by a Steven Tames penalty, gave Albion command. Jack Kelly pulled one back for the Yeltz on the hour-mark but a third from Prince Haywood a minute from time confirmed the visitors' victory.

Coalville Town blew Hednesford Town away on a wet and windy night at Owen Street, making it five wins from their last six league games.

Steve Towers gave the Ravens an eighth minute lead that Nathan Watson doubled after 23 minutes. Danny Glover reduced the deficit after 32 minutes, only for Coalville to restore their two-goal advantage five minutes later, courtesy of a Sam Oji own goal.

After the break, Dan Creaney bagged a brace in the 49th and 52nd minutes, with Glover netting a stoppage time penalty to reduce the arrears to three.

A goal from former Burton Albion favourite Shaun Harrad with 17 minutes left to play earned Matlock Town a third win of the season to date at home to Mickleover Sports

Promoted Shaw Lane AFC showed their determination to progress further with a 3-0 win over Whitby Town on their first visit to the Turnbull Ground.

The Seasiders made it hard for themselves, suffering a massive blow with just 75 seconds on the clock when Adam Gell received a straight red card.

Nicky Walker took advantage to give the visitors a 15th minute lead but it wasn`t until the final nine minutes that Shaw Lane were able to break down a determined and battling Blues again, Paul Clayton after 81 minutes and then Walker again four minutes later making it a rather flattering scoreline.

Workington AFC and Rushall Olympic both went nap at home to really get their seasons going.

The Reds inflicted a 5-2 defeat on relegated Altrincham with Scott Allison giving the home side a 23rd minute lead that Max Harrop cancelled out five minutes later.

Tom Hannigan then conceded a penalty which Conor Tinnion converted on 38 minutes. Four minutes afterwards Harrop saw red for a rash challenge. But it was the ten-men who scored next with Jordan Hulme levelling on 65 minutes.

Parity lasted barely three minutes though as Allison netted his second and then Sam Joel made it 4-2 on 75 minutes. As Alty tired in the rain, Allison completed his hat-trick five minutes from time.

The Pics beat Sutton Coldfield Town 5-1 at Dales Lane, Joe Hull giving them the lead on 13 minutes with a powerful header from a corner.

That advantage was doubled three minutes later by Stan Mugisha from six yards out after a goalmouth scramble. AJ Adelekan then capped off a wonderful first half for the home side on the stroke of half-time after Royals keeper Mason Springthorpe spilled the ball. The Rushall man was on hand to slot the ball home.

Sutton threatened a second half comeback with a goal in the 47th minute, courtesy of a Zak Martin goal before Andre Landell quashed any such hopes on 58 minutes with a neat finish past Springthorpe from a Kartel O’Neill Martin cross. Martin later turned goalscorer on 88 minutes when he completed the nap hand.

The only stalemate of the evening came at the Weaver Stadium where Nantwich Town took the lead against Maine AFC five minutes before half-time through Jordan Davies, the Mariners earning a share of the spoils with a 67th minute Danny Mitchley leveller.

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook www.facebook.com/evostikleague

Where next?

Crowe returns as director of football Neil Crowe is back at Bamber Bridge as the EVO-STIK League club's new director of football.
Tuesday's North Division review South Shields march on in EVO-STIK League North after a 2-1 winagainst Colne FC on Tuesday night made it six wins out of seven for the Northern League and Buildbase FA Vase champions, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Match centre

Senior The EVO-STIK Premier Division

Latest photos

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.