Tuesday's Premier Division review

1 year ago By David Watters

Tuesday night saw first wins for the season in the EVO-STIK League Premier for Altrincham, Hednesford Town and Coalville Town and first defeats for Warrington Town and Mickleover Sports, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Altrincham secured their first win of the season at the fourth attempt with a 1-0 victory over Whitby Town at the J.Davidson Stadium.

The Robins took the lead after 32 minutes with a Josh Hancock effort from 15 yards – Altrincham’s first goal from open play in more than five hours of football. Though the home side continued to have the better of the game, they showed a less than clinical approach in front of goal and were subjected to a tense four minutes of added time by Whitby but managed to hold on.

The Pitmen saw off neighbouring Halesowen Town 2-0 at Keys Park, a decent crowd of 404 seeing the home side get off to a great start with a goal from Devarn Green inside the opening minute.

Luke Rodgers quickly doubled their advantage nine minutes later but they weren`t able to add to that tally as the Yeltz came more into the game without managing to trouble the scorers.

Coalville got off the mark by inflicting a second successive defeat on Grantham Town, who had won their two opening matches.

But the Ravens left it late – Massiah McDonald`s breakthrough goal coming just two minutes from the end of normal time.

Warrington`s first defeat came at Cantilever Park against an Ashton United side who were the side that beat Grantham last weekend, John Pritchard`s goal on the half-hour mark proving good enough on the night for the Robins.

Mickleover were undone, also at home, by a Stafford Rangers side for whom this was a third win in four.

Danny Westwood bagged a brace for Rangers, who top the fledgling table, making the breakthrough seven minutes into the second half and then making sure with a second in stoppage time.

Shaw Lane AFC made it two successive wins after winning promotion with a 2-0 success at Silverlands against Buxton.

Nicky Walker put the Barnsley-based visitors ahead after 34 minutes and Spencer Harris grabbed a second 10 minutes into the second half.

Marine AFC recovered from last Saturday`s home defeat to Barwell to win 2-0 at newboys Stalybridge Celtic, who find themselves bottom of the pile.

Vinny Bailey opened the Mariners` account two minutes after half-time before Kenny Strickland made the points safe for the visitors nine minutes from time.

The rest of Tuesday night's matches ended all-square with newcomers Farsley Celtic and Lancaster City sharing a goalless draw at Throstle Nest.

Fellow promotees Witton Albion looked to be heading for victory at Borough Park against Workington AFC after Rob Hopley`s 52nd minute opener until Conor Tinnion popped up with an 82nd minute leveller for the Reds.

Former Kidderminster Harriers striker Gurjit Singh scored a hat-trick for Sutton Coldfield Town at Coles Lane but didn`t end up on the winning side as Matlock Town battled to a 3-3 draw.

Indeed, it was almost a three-point haul for the Gladiators as they led 3-2 through goals from Shaun Harrad after 37 minutes, Dwayne Wiley right on half-time and Ted Cribley 10 minutes after the break. Singh completed his hat-trick with less than three minutes remaining to share the points, having earlier scored in the first and 42nd minutes.

Rushall Olympic picked up their first away point of the season to date after a thrilling 4-4 draw at Kirkby Road against Barwell.

The Pics led 2-0 at the break with goals from Dominic Dell after two minutes and Danny Waldron in the 31st minute.

A Lewis Probert own goal and a fine Ryan Seal effort pulled the Yellows back on level terms within four minutes of each other shortly after the interval, and then Ryan Robbins put the hosts ahead for the first time on the hour-mark.

Stanley Mugisha equalised seven minutes later but sub Matt Stenson looked to have won it for the home side when he made it 4-3 as stoppage time clicked in. However, in the 94th minute, Probert scored at the right end to salvage a point for the Pics.

Image courtesy of Twitter

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook www.facebook.com/evostikleague

Where next?

Newboy couldn't wait to get started Welsh defender James Jones told Altrincham fans he couldn't wait to get started before helping Phil Parkinson's side secure their first three points of the EVO-STIK League season on Tuesday night.
Log on for live Robins commentary Tune into live coverage from Altrincham's clash with Whitby Town in the EVO-STIK League's top flight at Moss Lane on Tuesday night on Radio Robins.

Latest photos

Chasetown (A) by John Driscoll
55 photos
Mossley Away 20/10/18
87 photos
Mossley Away 20/10/18

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.