Saturday's Premier Division action review

1 year ago By David Watters

There are joint leaders of the EVO-STIK Northern Premier League's Premier Division after Saturday`s round of matches, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Overnight leaders Rushall Olympic suffered a 2-0 defeat at Workington AFC, leaving Buxton to go top on goal difference after they won 4-2 at lowly Halesowen Town.

A crowd of 447 at Borough Park saw Workington move to within three points of the play-off places, goals from Kyle May after 35 minutes and Conor Tinnion two minutes later enough to see off the Pics.

In front of 355 at The Grove, Buxton had to come back from being a 30th minute Kaiman Anderson goal down to win.

Jamie Jackson bagged a brace to equalise on 39 minutes and then give the Bucks the lead right on half-time. Greg Young then stretched Buxton`s lead six minutes after the break and, although Asa Charlton reduced the deficit on 72 minutes, Nicky Walker made it 4-2 in stoppage time to secure the Bucks win.

Blyth Spartans moved into third spot after they won 1-0 at Coalville Town and Whitby Town lost 3-1 at Ashton United.

Robbie Dale`s 74th minute effort proved enough for Spartans at Owen Street, while Ashton pushed themselves back towards the top end of a very tightly congested table.

Matty Chadwick gave them a 31st minute lead that Ryan Crowther added to four minutes after the break. Dale Hopson reduced the arrears four minutes later but that`s as good as it got for the Seasiders as Chadwick`s second five minutes from time wrapped up a good win for the Tamesiders.

Spennymoor Town pulled to within a couple of points of the two teams above them after a 4-2 home success against another contender, Hednesford Town.

In front of 519, Shane Henry after six minutes and a Joe Tait penalty on 41 minutes had Moors` two-up at the break.

Vinny Mukendi pulled one back for the Pitmen eight minutes after half-time, only for Nathan Fisher to bag a brace in the 65th and 83rd minutes to pull the hosts away, despite Mukendi adding a second in stoppage time.

Matlock Town lost fifth spot to Spennymoor after suffering a 2-1 home defeat to a now third-bottom Corby Town side.

The Steelmen followed up January 2nd`s win over the Moors with goals from Phil Trainer after 28 minutes and Ben Milnes six minutes later. Alex Pursehouse pulled one back for the Gladiators in the last minute.

Nantwich Town are just five points adrift of the top five after they won 1-0 at Mickleover Sports, courtesy of a 79th minute Sam Hall goal.

Corby`s win was bad news for Skelmersdale United and Ilkeston FC who are now bottom and second-bottom respectively after defeats on Saturday.

Skem were edged out by the odd goal in five at fifth-bottom Frickley Athletic – all the goals coming in the final 28 minutes.

Gary Stohrer and Luke Mangham giving the hosts a 2-0 lead that Harry Blackburn cancelled out with a late brace in the 85th and 88th minute, only for Joe Pugh to net a dramatic winner for the Yorkshire side in stoppage time.

Ilkeston lost 2-1 at Marston Road to Stafford Rangers in front of a crowd of 763.

Rangers trailed at the break to a 21st minute Luis Rose effort. But a Jamie Hanna own goal two minutes into the second half and a goal from Josh Gordon 20 minutes from time sealed Rangers win.

Marine AFC and Barwell shared a 0-0 draw at the Marine Travel Arena in the day`s other game.

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook

Where next?

Saturday's First North action review Only Glossop North End of the top five in the EVO-STIK Northern Premier League First Division North managed a win on Saturday, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.
Good luck to our history-makers! Good luck to the fans, players and officials of Stourbridge today in the Emirates FA Cup at Wycombe Wanderers from the rest of the EVO-STIK Northern Premier League!

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.