Saturday's North Division action review

11 months ago By David Watters

There was something of a goal fest in the EVO-STIK League North on Saturday, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

And it was a day when leaders South Shields dropped only their fifth point of the season to date, being held to a 2-2 draw at Mariners Park by a now seventh-placed Trafford side.

Shields will be kicking themselves. In front of another excellent pre-Christmas crowd of 1,461 they let a 2-0 lead, given to them by Rob Briggs after 25 minutes and then Carl Finnigan on 68 minutes, slip as Louis Corrigan on 72 minutes and then Mark Derbyshire with almost the last kick of the game, pulled Trafford level.

Bamber Bridge are second, now four points behind Shields, who have two games in hand, after beating bottom-markers Goole AFC 4-1 at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds.

But the scoreline hides a battling show by the Vikings, who only trailed to a 19th minute Jamie Milligan effort until the 68th minute when Ged Garner added Brig`s second. Jordan Turner pulled one back from the penalty spot 10 minutes from time but Matt Lawlor added Brig's third five minutes later and, after Aaron Brettell had been sent-off, Macauley Wilson scored the visitors' fourth from the resulting spot-kick in the 87th minute.

Prescot Cables are third after an emphatic 6-0 win at Ingfield against a fast-falling Ossett Town side, for whom this was a sixth successive defeat.

And they ended this game with only nine-men following the dismissals of Anthony Mackie after 29 minutes and Isaac Assenso six minutes from time. In between, Cables scored six times through braces for James Edgar, Josh Klein-Davies and Chris Almond.

Hyde United triumphed in the division`s game of the day at Ewen Fields against Scarborough Athletic to move above their visitors into fourth spot after a 3-1 win.

In front of a crowd of 638, Phattharaphol Khamsuk gave the Tigers an 11th minute lead that Matty Beadle doubled from the spot just three minutes later. Dominic Marie eventually added a third for the hosts in the 72nd minute, with Nathan Curtis` 84th minute reply being just a consolation in the end.

Droylsden complete the top six after hammering neighbours Radcliffe FC 7-0 at Stainton Park.

It was all over by half-time with the rampant Bloods leading 5-0 with goals from Jamie Frost, Sefton Gonzales and a Liam Caddick hat-trick. Caddick added his fourth and Droylsden's sixth three minutes into the second half and Frost his second and the visitors` seventh on 72 minutes.

Clitheroe are level on points with seventh-placed Trafford after beating Glossop North End 4-1 at home, thanks to Kurt Willoughby after 43 minutes, Ross Dent on 54 minutes, Alex Newby five minutes from time and a second for Willoughby two minutes later – and all after Ryan White had given the Hillmen a 28th minute lead.

Mossley AFC triumphed at Seel Park against Kendal Town after a nine-goal thriller.

Rob Bowman gave the Mintcakes a sixth minute lead that Adam Lathan cancelled out within two minutes. Richard Seear restored Kendal's lead in the 15th minute but Tom Dean took the Lilywhites into half-time all-square with a 36th minute equaliser.

Liam Ellis then gave the hosts the lead for the first time after 63 minutes, only for Seear to level things up again just two minutes later. This topsy-turvy encounter saw Porya Ahmadi put Mossley back in front after 75 minutes, Matt Clarke level six minutes later and then Ahmadi score what proved to be the winner for Mossley five minutes from time.

Elsewhere, Colne won the derby at Atherton Collieries 2-0, thanks to Chris Lynch after 65 minutes and Matt Morgan in the 78th minutes.

Brighouse Town won a crucial game at Skelmersdale United to move level on points with the hosts in 19th, thanks to a 55th minute Gabriel Johnson effort and a backs-to-the-wall last five minutes after Connor Griffiths received a second yellow card.

Saturday's other two matches both ended 1-1 – at Llanelian Road, Danny Bartle gave Colwyn Bay a 55th minute breakthrough against second-bottom Ossett Albion, whose Aidan Chippendale equalised 12 minutes from time.

While at Tadcaster Albion, Conor Sellars had the home side in front after 25 minutes, Ramsbottom United sharing the Christmas spoils with a 61st minute Jerome Wright leveller.

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook

Where next?

Merry Christmas to all! EVO-STIK League chairman Mark Harris and his directors and officers wish football's family around the world and all our fans, players and clubs a Merry Christmas!
Heroes hailed for saving fan's life Alvechurch fan Rick Edwards is recovering in hospital as staff and fellow supporters at his EVO-STIK League club were being hailed for saving his life on Saturday after he suffered a cardiac arrest.

Latest photos

Chasetown Home 9/12/18
12 photos
Chasetown Home 9/12/18
Lincoln United 0-2 Tadcaster Albion
100 photos
Atherton C Home 1/12/18
61 photos
Atherton C Home 1/12/18

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.