Saturday's First North action review

1 year ago By David Watters

Only five games were possible in the EVO-STIK League North on Saturday due to the weather with the top two both left inactive bu snow and rain, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

However, third-placed Prescot Cables had the opportunity to overtake Scarborough Athletic and South Shields and go top for the first time when they hosted play-off chasing Glossop North End at Hope Street.

But the Hillmen had failed to read the script, and in front of a decent crowd of 370, Cables went down to a 2-1 defeat – only their second in 12 games.

Chris Baguley put the visitors in front just before half-time, and James McCulloch equalised just after the break. But a Bradley Roscoe effort after 79 minutes proved to be enough for Glossop, especially after Cables lost McCulloch to a straight red card late on.

That was a good result for the top two as Cables still trail by two points but have played four more games that Scarborough and six more than Shields.

It was a disappointing afternoon for sixth-placed Trafford as they were beaten 2-0 at home by lowly Brighouse Town.

It was goalless at the break, and then Waide Fairhurst gave Town the lead five minutes into the second period, and on the hour-mark, Iwan Heeley added a second to take the points back over the Pennines to Yorkshire.

Droylsden could have moved to within a point of Trafford but had to be content with a point from a 1-1 Butcher`s Arms draw with a Bamber Bridge outfit who could have overtaken Prescot and moved into the top three had they won.

Ciaran Kilheeney gave the Bloods a 37th minute lead that Brad Carsley cancelled out right on the stroke of half-time. But neither side were able to find a winner as the weather worsened on Tameside.

Not far away, Mossley AFC and Skelmersdale United shared eight goals at Seel Park.

Skem fought back from 3-0 down at half-time – goals from Jack Tuohy after 16 minutes, Elliot Harrison on 31 minutes and a Mike Fish penalty 10 minutes later giving the Lilywhites their advantage.

Tom Mitchell reduced the deficit within three minutes of the restart and then a Mike Roddy spot-kick on 64 minutes and Ali Redmayne on 85 minutes, pulled Skem level. But Tom Dean looked to have won it for Mossley when he made it 4-3 in the 87th minute, only for Jordan Darr to pop up with Skelmersdale`s leveller in stoppage time.

It was also all-square at Ingfield between Ossett Town and Clitheroe, who trailed to a 24th minute goal from new signing Craig Nelthorpe.

But an Alex Newby brace in the 30th minute from the spot and 43rd minute from open play, gave the Blues the interval lead. That looked to be enough, until Jason Yates popped up with an 88th minute equaliser for Town.

Image courtesy of

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook

Where next?

Robins dedicate fixture to campaign EVO-STIK League leaders Altrincham are backing next month's international efforts to kick homophobia out of football.
Champions reunited for fundraiser Eastwood Town’s Northern Premier League championship-winning team of 2009 are kicking off together again today (Sunday) in a charity fundraiser to support the wife of former striker Marc Smith.

Latest photos

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.