Saturday's First North action review

1 year ago By David Watters

Farsley Celtic held on to top spot in the EVO-STIK Northern Premier League First Division North on goal difference from Lancaster City after both won on Saturday, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Farsley earned another crucial three points with a 5-3 victory, despite a rather lacklustre performance against the battling ten-men of Bamber Bridge. Five different scorers were on target for The Celts who retained their position on top of the table, bouncing back after Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat to Goole AFC.

Adam Clayton`s header after seven minutes and a Paul Walker effort three minutes later gave the home side a two-goal interval lead. Bamber Bridge were reduced to ten-men early on in the second half as ‘keeper Steve James lost the ball to Walker who was tripped as he attempted to score. As a result, James was dismissed and Richard Marshall converted the penalty to make it 3-0.

Brig immediately got back into the game when Ali Waddecar nodded home before Farsley restored their three-goal cushion on 63 minutes through Jordan Deacey. After pulling another goal back on 74 minutes through Stuart Vasey, the three points were all but wrapped up for Farsley four minutes later when Lewis Nightingale swept the ball home before Vasey grabbed a consolation in added time.

It was a lot less frenetic at the Giant Axe where Lancaster beat Tadcaster Albion 1-0, thanks to a 14th minute Ryan Winder free-kick, and the title is realistically between the top two now, especially after Trafford`s 2-2 home draw with Ramsbottom United left them 11 points behind with only 18 left on offer.

A brace of penalties converted by Lee Gaskell earned Rammy a draw after Ashley Woods – also from the spot – and Josh Granite had given the home side a 2-1 lead.

Glossop North End are fourth, level on points with Trafford, after winning 3-1 at the Butcher`s Arms against Droylsden.

It was goalless until the hour-mark when Karl Jones broke the deadlock for the Hillmen. Jones added a second 20 minutes from time and Dale Johnson made it 3-0 in the 81st minute, although Shaun Holden netted a consolation for the Bloods five minutes from time.

Ossett Town complete the top five and they beat Colwyn Bay 1-0 at Ingfield, thanks to a 63rd minute Jason Yates goal.

Colne were without a game and are now a point behind Ossett, while Brighouse Town`s top five hopes took a blow when they were held to a 1-1 home draw by Kendal Town to leave them a further three points adrift.

Ben Wharton`s 20th minute opener for the Yorkshire side was eventually cancelled out three minutes from time by the Mintcakes` Josh Draycott.

Second-bottom Goole AFC also shared a 1-1 draw at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds against Mossley AFC, whose Tom Dean headed them level in stoppage time after Sam Colbear had given the Vikings a 69th minute lead.

The result leaves Goole trail third-bottom Prescot Cables by four points with only six matches remaining.

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook

Where next?

League statement: points deducted The EVO-STIK Northern Premier League's First Division North table was amended on Sunday to reflect the points deducted from four clubs following the expiration of their 14 days to appeal.
Saturday's Premier Division action review Blyth Spartans maintained their ten point lead at the top of the EVO-STIK Northern Premier League's Premier Division table on Saturday after a comprehensive 4-0 Croft Park win over seemingly-doomed Skelmersdale United, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Match centre

Senior The EVO-STIK Premier Division

Latest photos

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.