Premier Round-up: Farsley take over at the summit

By James Gordon

Farsley Celtic returned to the top of the EVO-STIK League Premier Division after Warrington Town slipped up at home to Stafford Rangers.

After reducing the gap at the top to one point with a win over Workington in midweek, Farsley went two points clear with a hard-fought 2-1 win at Hyde United.

Nathan Cartman gave them a first half lead that was cancelled out shortly after the hour mark by Deane Smalley.

Adam Clayton popped up late on to grab the three points for the Yorkshiremen.

Warrington’s eight match unbeaten run came to a surprise end at home to Stafford, who eased their relegation worries with a win in the first meeting between the two sides this season.

The Yellows lost midfielder Ben Garrity to a red card for two bookable offences in the first 15 minutes, but still led through Bohan Dixon.

But a brace by captain Luke Jones either side of a nice effort by Theo Bailey-Jones put Stafford in command, and they held on despite a late goal on his home debut from Marcus Cusani.

South Shields kept within reach of the top two with a 3-1 win away at Mickleover Sports.

Craig Baxter gave them an early lead before Ben Harmison’s brace made the game safe by the hour mark, and Tomas Junek’s first goal was Sports was scant consolation as they fell four points adrift of safety at the bottom.

Just above the drop zone is Bamber Bridge, who are without a win in nine games, suffering their sixth loss in that run at home to Whitby Town.

Alistair Waddecar had given them the lead after just four minutes, though Bradley Fewster equalised before the break.

Adam Gell put Whitby in front on 76 minutes and Fewster made sure seven minutes later as Brig’s worries increase.

Grantham Town will also be looking over their shoulders after they suffered a late defeat at Witton Albion.

Will Jones struck the winner eight minutes from time for Witton, who still boast the second best defence in the league, and are now up to ninth in the table.

Buxton’s play-off hopes were dealt a blow as they were beaten 2-0 by Basford United in Liam Hearn’s first game as interim manager.

Jack Thomas put Basford in front on 17 minutes, though they had to wait for second half injury time to be sure of the points, Bradley Roscoe putting through his own goal.

Scarborough made the most of their game in hand on Gainsborough as they won 2-1 away at Marine.

James Walshaw and Michael Coulson scored for the Seadogs to move them within one point of Trinity, who were without a game on Saturday.

North Ferriby live to fight another day, their relegation could have been confirmed by a defeat at Workington, but the game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

To view all the results from the weekend’s games, visit the EVO-STIK League results page, and check the latest league tables here.

Where next?

West Round-up: Chasers close the gap on leaders Radcliffe and Runcorn Linnets moved within a point of leaders Atherton Collieries in the EVO-STIK League West Division.
Saturday's live commentaries Follow a number of games live this Saturday.

Latest photos

Reds Legends day
26 photos
Reds Legends day
Awards Night 2019
58 photos
Awards Night 2019

The Evo-Stik League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.