Launched three weeks ago to promote NPL50 celebrations during the EVO-STIK League's milestone 2017-18 campaign, the online poll to choose the 'Top 100 Players' and a 'Team of all Time' closes at a minute to midnight tonight (20 October).
The poll of legends since the Northern Premier League's foundation in 1968 stood at a whopping 726 stars at 5pm on Friday after 18,870 nominations from fans and clubs. After a forthcoming public vote on who should make the final line-ups, the stars included are set to feature in a specially commissioned book charting the Northern Premier League's proud history.
The nominations so far don't include the contributions due from the EVO-STIK League's 68 current clubs with a number yet to submit their five nominations ahead of a second deadline for them on Friday 27 October.
Entitled '50 Glorious Seasons - A History of the Northern Premier League 1968-2018', the new book is currently being written by official historian and statistician Dominic McKenzie and will be out within weeks of the anniversary campaign ending.
To produce a definitive history with chapters on everything from the story behind the NPL's foundation to its greatest cup kings and star graduates, fans are being asked to share their memories and archives with the upcoming book's author McKenzie. To contribute to the research for the official history email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NPL Top 100 players nominations and voting
Dates & deadlines
The deadline for the public to nominate five players each is a minute to midnight on Friday 20 October with club nominations a week later at a minute to midnight on October 27. The online public poll of players who make the shortlist will start on Saturday 4 November and close on Sunday 17 December.
Nominations requirements and voting procedures
* To have played 50 games for any single NPL club while it was a member of the competition. This can include the League Challenge Cup, President's Cup and Chairman's Cup.
* Played in 100 games or more in the NPL at a number of clubs.
* An exception to the rule lowering the requirement to 30 games is allowed if a player has gone on to play in the professional game or shown exceptional standards in performance or behaviour.
* There are no restrictions to how many players can be picked from a single club.
* Players who have brought the game, league or a club into disrepute for their actions are ineligible.
* The shortlist for the public poll will be restricted to a maximum of 200 players, including 10 goalkeepers. If more than 200 players are selected, a judging panel will shortlist the choices.
For more information and to vote click here: http://pollmill.com/f/npl-50th-anniversary-3cqke2a/answers/new.fullpage.
Image courtesy of @evostikleague/Twitter
Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook www.facebook.com/evostikleague